As a Practice we are very aware that visiting your GP can, at times, be stressful and concerning for patients. Delays in obtaining appointments and delays in surgery times, due to unforeseen emergency appointments, can also add to these concerns.
We always strive to meet patient expectations and deliver the highest standards of healthcare. For the vast majority of our patients we achieve this, despite the finite resources and steadily increasing demand for services that exist today within the NHS.
Our staff come to work to care for others and it is important for all members of the public and our staff to be treated with respect.
In line with the rest of the NHS and to ensure this is fully observed, we have instigated a Dignity at Work and Zero Tolerance policy whereby aggressive or violent behaviour towards our staff will not be tolerated. This policy states that GPs and their staff have a right to care for others without fear of being attacked or abused. To successfully provide these services a mutual respect between all the staff and patients has to be in place.
All our staff aim to be polite, helpful, and sensitive to all patients’ individual needs and circumstances.
We respectfully remind patients that very often staff could be confronted with a multitude of varying and sometimes difficult tasks and situations, all at the same time. Our staff understand that ill patients do not always act in a reasonable manner and will take this into consideration.
In order for the practice to maintain good relations with their patients, the practice would like to ask all its patients to read and take note of the occasional types of behaviour that would be found unacceptable:
- Using bad language or swearing at practice staff.
- Any physical violence towards any member of the Primary Health Care Team or other patients, such as pushing or shoving.
- Verbal abuse towards the staff in any form, including verbally insulting the staff.
- Racial abuse and sexual harassment will not be tolerated within this practice.
- Persistent or unrealistic demands that cause stress to staff will not be accepted (Requests will be met wherever possible and explanations given when they cannot be).
- Causing damage/stealing from the Practice’s premises, staff or patients.
- Obtaining drugs and/or medical services fraudulently.
We ask you to treat your GPs and their staff courteously at all times.
Any one patient who verbally abuses a member of practice staff will be sent a letter confirming that this behaviour will not be tolerated. Any future violation of this policy may result in removal from the Practice patient list. Police will be called in all cases of violence.
The Practice feels sure you will understand that proper behaviour is absolutely necessary for our staff and patients and that non observance will not be accepted.
Thank you on behalf of Leckhampton Surgery